From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Malcolm McClure [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 May 2011 16:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: geology and the flying spaghetti monster

Dear All:

Whilst I agree that this is not the place to discuss controversial possibilities in depth, I deplore Dr Rippington's disparaging subject line above.
Science is surely about reaching beyond established categories of knowledge.  Thinking 'outside the box' is surely to be encouraged, and  questions coming from the sidelines can sometimes cause us to reconsider the so-called 'established certainties'.  The Expanding Earth is as much a philosophical challenge as a scientific question, because scientific evidence can so easily be adapted to fit anticipated reality.  There have been many occasions in the past when earth science has moved forward reluctantly in the face of new interpretations of the data, as those of us who remember the early days of plate tectonics have good cause to remember.

We should consider well-intended suggestions with due humility, rejecting those that are unfounded with charitable comment and storing away better ideas for future use, if and when appropriate.

Cheers

Malcolm