We hope you can join us at University College London on 4th-5th July for the second biennial ISKO UK Conference , which honours the life and achievements of Brian C Vickery, a pioneer in our field. Registration is open until June 24th. You can find out more details of the event and register via “Registration” on the conference site.

This will be a varied programme with the theme Facets of Knowledge Organization, with 28 presentations as well as seven posters. Day One includes a special session co-organized by our colleagues in the European network of NKOS (Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services). The topic, “What role can KOS play in information retrieval applications?” was inspired by Brian Vickery’s longstanding interest in information retrieval. On the second day we shall hear from several other speakers who have drawn on Vickery’s legacy.

This year the Proceedings will be published and sent to all those attending the Conference, including not only the presented papers, but a selection of papers either by, or about, Brian Vickery.

Our keynote speakers include Stephen Robertson, who, after leaving the Aslib Research Department under Brian Vickery, spent many years leading the Centre for Interactive Systems at City University and is now a full-time researcher at the Microsoft Research Laboratory in Cambridge; and Amanda Spink, recently appointed to the Chair in Information Science at Loughborough University, moving from the School of Information Sciences at the University of Pittsburgh. Details of the programme are available on the website.

 Please let any interested colleagues know, and we look forward to welcoming you to an enjoyable and important event

ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science and related disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been attracting lively and steadily growing audiences to its afternoon meeting series as well as its very successful first conference in 2009.