In January 2009, just few weeks after I had relocated to London from Milan, I was asked why I had closed down my own company. It was during in an interview for a post at the British Library that turned out to be not at all existent (it was "RIN / RLUK / BL e-learning coordinator". Can you imagine it? I was probably the only one to apply for and to be shortlisted for it!).
Briefly said, I burst into tears. Desperately.  That is what I suppose allows Michael Jubb and others at the British Library to mock me for the rest of my life :)
At any rate, the critical incident motivated me to write the story that is now available in two complementary versions:
1)  the "social" one, with a narrative approach, that I published in 2010 via a CPD-Wiki (About being an e-learning entrepreneur)  - ideally dedicated to Gilly Salmon ;)
2)  the portfolio, programme and project management review "The missing business case: rise and fall of an information literacy training agency" (submitted to Library Trends) I am very proud of. I would recommend to everybody who wants to start a business in the LIS, social  and educational fields to read this article.
I think we as a professional family tend to mismatch our own visions with "the business" and this is also true with the competence-based interview, especially when the success criteria are not at all disclosed.
If I were you, I would arrange a video with comments and answers to this question provided by candidates. The video could be delivered to HR professionals and recruiters (I am absolutely available for this, supposed I had the right to share it through my own personal website too).

Brunella Longo
Information Management Adviser, Project Manager Prince2 Practitioner, Independent Scholar
7 New College Court

London NW3 5EX

T +44 (0)20 72095014 - 77229184 / +44 (0) 75 49921488 (mobile)

http://www.brunellalongo.info (http://www.brunellalongo.it)