Dear Colleagues:

We invite you to submit to Session 5d: “The Role of Island and Continental Arcs in Continent Formation” for the 2011 Goldschmidt Conference in Prague. We look forward to contributions from various disciplinary perspectives and anticipate productive discussion in this and other sessions devoted to the Continental Crust Formation and Evolution Theme (5).

Keynote: Peter Kelemen (LDEO, Columbia University)

Invited: Shuichi Kodaira (JAMSTEC)

Session description: Growth of new continental crust in the Phanerozoic has been largely accomplished by the accretion of island arcs and juvenile additions to continental arcs. At what point in the tectonic history of accretion and arc formation does the compositional structure of the arc assume that of a mature continent? What is the composition and flux of mantle-derived magmatism in arcs, and how and when are their compositions modified by the time they reach crustal levels? Case studies of arcs in different stages of their evolution are encouraged.

Abstract deadline: April 15th

Best regards from your conveners,

Jaime Barnes (U. of Texas–Austin)

Esteban Gazel (LDEO, Columbia University)

Jade Star Lackey (Pomona College)

Jaime D. Barnes

Assistant Professor

Department of Geological Sciences