Hi all again,

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. There's a lot of enthusiasm and a great deal of knowledge and experience out there! There are a lot of people I will be contacting soon.

The main thrust seems to be that a lot of people are doing things for 2 or 3-5 year olds but not many doing things for younger children. There was some disagreement about using old, replica or new objects but I would say the whole point of taking your child to a museum is to see or handle old items, with replica a second best. Generally on the health and safety side - stay away from lead paint, possibly soft rubber and copper. Look at BS standards (link below). If parents handle with babies, then other health and safety concerns are mitigated somewhat.

Big point - baby and carer/parent rather than mother and baby.

Quite a few people wanted to know what the responses were on this question so I have collated them below:

Places to visit and people to contact

Objects for handling

Pedagogy
Kim Biddulph
Heritage Education and Interpretation Consultant