Hi Eleanor,

I'm not sure whether you're after sound files or printed music; assuming the
latter (there's no shortage of sound files on You Tube etc.), there should
be buckets of the stuff, as all Tudor music in its original form is well out
of copyright. Copyright will only exist in formally published editions
(music of the period often requires heavy editing, as staff and notation
were often different to today's conventions). This means, however, that
there are lots of amateur editions freely available, and really, all you
have to do is search by composer.

My own sphere is very much the choral one, and a very useful source is The
Choral Public Domain Library: http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/ which is full of
early choral music, all free, downloadable as pdf, or as Sibelius files
(there's usually a choice).

Some composers to search for in the (British) Tudor period are:

Henry VIII (he wrote some choral music, and several consort pieces for
viols) - about as officially Tudor as it gets! 1491-1547

John Taverner (with the middle 'r' - not to be confused with the
contemporary John Tavener!) 1490?-1545

Thomas Tallis c 1505-1585

Robert Parsons c 1535-1572

William Byrd 1543-1623

Thomas Morley 1557-1602

Peter Philips 1561-1628

Thomas Weelkes 1576-1623

John Dowland 1563-1626

Robert Carver 1484-1568

Christopher Tye 1505-1572

John Farmer 1570-1601

Robert Johnson 1500-1560

Orlando Gibbons 1583-1625

Anthony Holborne 1545-1602

Francis Cutting 1550-1595

Thomas Robinson 1560-1609

Hope this helps

Barry

Barry Creasy

research, consultation, evaluation, cultural analysis