Allison,

You should only put in one subject to each SPM.mat file for the first level analysis. Then use the con_images in the second level analysis. In regards to your error, the images are not normalized to common space and as such, SPM is complaining.

For each subject, you should do the following:
(a) slice-timing correction (optional)
(b) motion correction
(c) normalization
(d) smoothing

These 3 or 4 steps will lead to all subjects being in the same common space.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Research Fellow, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School
Office: (773) 406-2464
This e-mail contains CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION which may contain PROTECTED HEALTHCARE INFORMATION and may also be LEGALLY PRIVILEGED and which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of the e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are in possession of confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail unintentionally, please immediately notify the sender via telephone at (773) 406-2464 or email.