Von: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Weissman, Daniel
Gesendet: Freitag, 18. März 2011 14:38
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [SPM] Parametric Modulation: 2 questions

Dear Christian,

You can certainly incorporate RT as a parametric modulator for the target word regressor in your model.

This "RT regressor" will capture variance in the BOLD signal that varies linearly with RT, which is not explained by the average BOLD response to the target word (or the combined response to the prime and target if these cannot be separated because they are presented very close in time with no jitter).  If the prime and target are presented close in time, they may produce a combined BOLD response that deviates from the canonical shape.  In that case, you may wish to consider using a finite impulse response model (e.g., Weissman et al., 2006)

The polynomial expansion that is most appropriate for your study depends on the scientific hypothesis being investigated.  That said, in a number of event-related fMRI studies (e.g.,  Chee et al., 2008;  Prado, Carp, & Weissman,  2011; Prado & Weissman, 2011), we have found that the BOLD signal varies in a predominantly linear fashion with RT.  However, there are occasional quadratic effects as well (e.g., Chee et al., 2008).  So, you might focus on the linear effect, but check to see whether higher-order effects are present as well.

Best and hope this helps!
Daniel

Daniel Weissman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor