In my experience the longer the inter-stimulus interval - the better your ability to detect the response. The instantaneous stimulus is modeled in SPM as waves with ascending slope of 5 seconds and descending slope of the same duration (approximately). So if you have two conditions spaced with only 500 ms the will be 95 % overlap between those target and BLANK hemodinamic responses. Maybe you can increase the duration of BANCKs.

Good luck,
Vladimir