Dear Linda,

See a detailed answer provided by Guillaume below, but to sum it up it
is advised to use the modality-specific classical statistics,
especially in the latest SPM8 version as there are some modifications
specific to M/EEG. For the Bayesian statistics there is no
M/EEG-specific code any of relevant SPM authors is aware of so you can
in principle use the fMRI Bayesian option. I can send you off the list
a poster from Rik Henson and Jason Taylor where this option is
discussed. There is now also a paper under review along the same lines
which will probably be the best reference for you ones it comes out.

Best,

Vladimir

--------------------
* overall, (second level) models are the same for all modalities but you
should run SPM in the modality from which your data come from, for the
reasons detailed below.

* a Bayesian estimation option is only available in the interface for
fMRI and does not contain any modality-specific code. If requested, this
option could be made available for M/EEG (just have callback
spm_jobman('interactive','','spm.stats.fmri_est') instead of spm_spm).

* Clasical estimation has some modality-specific parameters:
 - threshold used to select voxels for non-sphericity correction, see
spm_spm.m and spm_defaults.m, defauls.stats.*.ufp.
 - tweak on variance estimate to deal with region with very low
variance: currently implemented in spm_spm.m by modifying ResMS image
(in PET/VBM, M/EEG modality), and previously implemented in
spm_contrasts.m (for all modalities, last public update).
These two specificities are likely to change in SPM in the future
(selecting the x% most significant voxels, robust shrinkage) so that
they would not be modality specific any more.
If a script is used without setting the modality beforehand
(spm('defaults','eeg')), SPM behaviour is to use the hardcoded values
from fMRI.

* In the Results section, an extra question is added for M/EEG regarding
the display in the MIP (different for source reconstruction, TF,
scalp-time, ...).