I want a tool that I can give various kinds of digital content to and it
gives me back a list of contributors. Maybe it examines the metadata in
the file, maybe it searches repositories for a copy of the file and
retrieves associated metadata for that repository.

This sort of functionality is made easy by wikis, and it's how, when you
buy a PediaPress book of a set of Wikipedia articles, a list of all the
contributors is automatically included in the back of the book. I'd like
it to be similarly easy to ensure people get proper attribution (which
is all a lot of academic contributors care about) with other kinds of
output.

I'm creating interactive pages with canvas (not in any sense immersive
though) for my projects. Nice to be able to do full interactivity with
just HTML and Javascript. One old one (shorn of pedagogical context):
http://economicsnetwork.ac.uk/archive/poulter/hyperbolic_discounting_preference_reversal.htm
--
Dr Martin L Poulter                ICT Manager, The Economics Network
Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/

The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter