From: "Ele Carpenter" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:06pm
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Analogue/Digital Art

Hello Everyone,
It seems the Analogue/Digital discussion is taking place during a
month of sliding scales - from the quantum level of digital/analogue
processes to the near meltdown of the Fukushima nuclear plant. The
instability of the reactors seems to embody a clash between our
understanding of the universe, and our lack of ability to make things
we need, such as renewable energy, and our inability not to make
things we really could do without (and may soon have to do without -
Sean's point about lithium in Bolivia is crucial here).

But I'm wondering how this relates to forms of making?
A work that keeps coming to mind - is the Flow watermill being
designed and built by artists Ed Carter and the Owl Project for the
River Tyne in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. The wooden mill will harness
the energy of the river to drive the acoustic-electronic sound works
that combine mechanical and digital automation. See
http://owlproject.com/flow

Can we relate the discussion about sensory perception of the world to
the experience of making?
We know that the streaming light of the film projector, or the flow of
the river, can be measured as both digital and analogue forms of
information, but does it affect what we make? or what we measure? Is
there a form-content relationship in other digital/analogue work,
which I think the Flow project is attempting to capture?

Best,
Ele

--
Ele Carpenter