Thank you very much, Genevra!

In case anyone is knocking him/herself out to find the reference I
mentioned to Vincent Ferrer, please stop now! Peter Dronke,'The
completeness of heaven', in Carolyn Muessig and Ad Putter, eds,
Envisaging Heaven in the Middle Ages (London: Routledge, 2007) 44-56,
notes an account of a 1391 sermon by Vincent Ferrer. Dealing with
Judas, the preacher is reported to have said that Judas's soul went to
Calvary and begged forgiveness of Jesus; this being received, Judas
ascended into paradise with Jesus.
Dronke's source is: H. Fages, Notes et documents de l’histoire de
Saint Vincent Ferrier, Paris: A. Picard, 1905, p.95.

Dronke also notes a relevant passage near the beginning of Chaucer's
Parliament of Fowles. But if anyone knows of other late medieval
sources, I'd be very grateful to know of them.

Best wishes, George Ferzoco

--
George FERZOCO

On 13 Mar 2011, at 20:22, Genevra Kornbluth wrote:

> On 3/13/2011 4:03 PM, George FERZOCO wrote:
>>
>> I am interested to know if there were any later medieval figures
>> who -- like Origen and Gregory of Nyssa, before them -- believed in
>> universal salvation, or apocatastasis, at the end of time.
> Not late medieval, but later than Origen and Gregory, is Candidus of
> Fulda who talks about 'all Israel' being saved with the rest near
> the end of the world (Opusculum de Passione Domini, chapter 18).
> Best,
> Genevra

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]