> My second question concerns the use of suitable mask after applying
> normalize to MNI function for fMRI data to get ride of potential aliasing
> effects.Is it better to use normalized template of dartel as an
> explicit mask (while doing second level analysis) or to apply the
> deformation to the first level subject-specific mask and then multiply with
> the smoothed normalized images created  by normalize to MNI function?

These are not really aliasing effects.  It's the effect of missing data in
the images, where  SPM tries to guess about what values should be there.
Usually, these regions contain zeros, which cause even greater artifacts
after smoothing, as some subjects' scans will have data, whereas others have
zeros.

Because this seems to be a concern for so many, I'll have a go at including
a fix for the data so that those voxels with very little signal are set to
zero.

Best regards,
-John

--00163630f77d500ad5049c7a214f

argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><table cells=
pacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0"><tbody><tr><td valign=3D"top" s=
tyle=3D"font:inherit">

EL template in MNI space? Shall one use *Template_6 as P and *_2mni.mat as =
M?</div>
e matrix in *_2mni.mat into the header of the Template_6.nii image. =A0The =
spm_get_space function would do that.</div>
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><table cellspacing=3D"0" cel=
lpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0"><tbody><tr><td valign=3D"top" style=3D"font:inh=
erit">
normalize to MNI function for fMRI data to get ride of potential=A0aliasing=
 effects.Is it better to use normalized template of dartel as an explicit=
=A0mask (while doing second level analysis) or to apply the deformation to =
the=A0first level subject-specific mask and then multiply with the smoothed=
 normalized images created=A0 by normalize to=A0MNI function?=A0</div>
ally aliasing effects. =A0It&#39;s the effect of missing data in the images=
, where =A0SPM tries to guess about what values should be there. Usually, t=
hese regions contain zeros, which cause even greater artifacts after smooth=
ing, as some subjects&#39; scans will have data, whereas others have zeros.=