> The main issues we are considering are:
> 1.  Secure storage of hold items
> 2.  How to label the items waiting for collection (data protection)
> 3.  We use Intellident RFID and Aleph so how would we set this up to
> integrate with these systems in terms of adding security, using self-
> issue kiosks, etc.

We implemented this at some site libraries last year and have had no major problems. To answer your points:

1. Security is a potential problem - anybody can take an item from the reserve shelf and move it around the library, but the system prevents them borrowing it or taking it out past the security barrier. They're shelved close to a staff point which probably helps discourage this though.

2. We label the books with the barcode number of the person its being held for, so as not to reveal their name. The number is printed on a slip at the discharge point, using a print routine we wrote locally.

3. The books are security triggered before going on to the shelf and people are directed to our self issue machines to borrow them. The machine checks that it is the right person trying to borrow it, releases the security etc.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Steve Campbell
Library Systems Manager