The JISC and RLUK Resource Discovery Taskforce (RDTF) was formed to focus on defining the requirements for the provision of a shared UK resource discovery infrastructure to support research and learning, to which libraries, archives, museums and other resource providers can contribute open metadata for access and reuse. The Taskforce has produced a vision and an outline work plan for the period 2010-2012 which will establish the framework to enable institutions, other service providers and developers to provide resource discovery and delivery services to match the needs of end users.

See http://bit.ly/gRPKu4 for details.

As part of this work, Pete Johnston and I have been asked to develop a set of metadata guidelines for use by libraries, museums and archives in the context of the RDTF. Our draft metadata guidelines are now available for comment and we would welcome your thoughts on any aspect of them. The guidelines suggest using one (or more) of three approaches, referred to as 1) the community formats approach, 2) the RDF data approach and 3) the Linked Data approach.

See http://rdtfmetadata.jiscpress.org/ for details of how to comment, using either the JISCPress system or by sending us email. The comment period runs for two weeks. A printable version of the guidelines is available at http://bit.ly/iamBxA.

For background information on some of the reasoning behind the guidelines and some of the specific issues that we’d like people to consider, see our eFoundations blog post at http://bit.ly/etm08H.

Best,

Andy

--