Dear John, Carlos, and Diana,
Obviously, I should have followed the advice I used to give students:
when puzzled by an image associated with a text, read the text!
Thanks for your tolerance of an ignorant question-- I'm more familiar
with iconography of the 4th c. than of the 14th.
The Duccio parallel cited by John is especially nice.

http://www.wga.hu/art/d/duccio/maesta/verso_2/verso11.jpg

Now I suppose that the question should be, why would the cloth be so
very much larger on the ivory than in other images?
Best,
Genevra

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]