hi Paul and Cathy, and if I could add, what is interesting is that one could
have a level 1 study (RCT) yet poorly conducted with poor methods (so poor
quality) yet a weaker cohort observational design (level 2 lets say) that is
very well done and strong methods. So I like an explanation where 1.) this is a
bot more complex than simply levels and quality for the researcher has some
decision making to do and lots of power in their hands and 2.) one has to a
priori, stipulate what you are doing, going to do, and thinking and be willing
to and able to defend your reasoning.

just my 2 cents for Cathy's question is a good one and leads to many issues.

Best,

Paul E. Alexander