Dear Eraldo,

>I am writing to seek advise on how to perform a seed based
>correlation analysis on a group of subjects
>scanned during resting state using SPM8
>
>My intuition on how to proceed is the following
>
>1. to perform a box-car analysis at first level on every subject
>defining, for example, the alternation of 2 conditions every 10 scans
>2. to extract the BOLD signal fluctuations as a VOI of choice from
>this analysis, the seed of interest
>3. to perform a linear regression analysis between the values
>extracted with the VOI and the rest of the brain
>4. to bring the individual con-images generated by the linear
>regression analyses to a second level analysis for group inference
>     about a shared correlation
>5. of course, if one had two groups of subjects, a between group
>comparison should also be possible
>
>I am a bit concerned on the validity of what I described at
>point  #1, the first level analysis

That is absolutely right and properly infers on the subject-specific
regression coefficients (not correlation coefficients) .
Things get more interesting when you compare two groups like this:
This is effectively a psychophysiological interaction
(PPI; where the physiological variable is the activity in the seed
VOI and the psychological variable is group) but
implemented using the (two-stage) summary statistic procedure.

I would not worry about step #1. Strictly speaking, you just need to
coerce SPM into modelling the constant and
drift terms only.  We usually do this by specifying a single event
(in an event-related design) and making sure the event is
at the end of the session or run (before it is expressed
hemodynamically). Do not forget to suppress the high-pass
filtering if you want to preserve drifts or ultra slow fluctuations.

Happy Christmas :) - Karl