Hi Everyone

Sorry if the number of emails (many from me) have been annoying. And I'm
adding another to it, but this is the only one.

Some thoughts:

I'm not a postgrad, and haven't been for some time.  I stay on this list
because I started it, in (I think) 1993 (but it might have been 1992;
archives only go back to 1997, or so), so I feel sort of nostalgic for it.
 I don't think non-postgrads should be on the list, because it should be a
forum where postgrads can (for example) moan about stuff without
lecturers/professors either 'listening in' or hearing.  One of the earliest
discussions was about who had the most irritating supervisor, for example.

I don't work in a university, and I don't work in the UK, so I feel fairly
separate from those - there's a chance that I might know your supervisor,
but it's unlikely I would be able to connect you (I worked in the UK until
1996, but haven't worked in a psychology department since 2001).  Every now
and then I send an email to ask if people think I should continue - I
realize there's a lot of turnover on this list, and I've just checked the
archives - the last time I asked was 1997, so most people probably weren't
on the list then.  If there was any kind of feeling that I shouldn't be
here, I would completely understand and will not be insulted or chagrined.

I started the list as a sort of British psycgrad, which is a long running,
and was very active, US/Canada psychology graduate (=postgraduate) list.  I
don't know if that list still exists, but I found it overwhelming (and
largely irrelevant), so I left it and start this one.

Being on mailing lists is a good way to know what is going on in your
discipline, but you have to manage them.  Some people use a secondary email
address (I don't use my work email address, for example, partly for this
reason, but also because the company I work for [RAND Corporation] doesn't
like to be associated with public statements made by researchers that are
not "official").   I am on lots of mailing lists, it's very useful, and I
use filters to delete emails from people I don't like or are boring, and
filters to label emails from lists, so * *I can skip them, and I don't even
begin to attempt to read everything.  I have 23,072 unread emails in my
inbox.  317 of them are from psych-postgrads.  Every now and then I delete
everything.

There are probably better places to seek statistical advice than this list -
because people other than me answer.  :)  Seeking advice on hard problems
(like statistics) from just me and other postgrads probably isn't ideal.  I
try to advertise the psych-methods list pretty regularly on here (because I
started that, and still 'own' it).  There's also the
methodspace.comwebsite, there's a sas list, an SPSS list, and an R
list, and a  stata list.
 There's a structural equation modeling list, and a multilevel list, there's
a teaching-statistics list (that's mine too), and an imputation list and a
moderation and mediation group on facebook [that's the only facebook group I
know of on statistics that is active], and so on. There's an individual
differences list, psychometrics list (I think it died) and there are
probably many more.   For those reasons, I don't think a psych-postgrads
forum is the best place to seek advice.

Jeremy

P.S.  I'll go and check out methodspace now.  I need to debate the use of
old data with someone.

--
Jeremy Miles
Psychology Research Methods Wiki: www.researchmethodsinpsychology.com