Aloha,

On 12/13/2010 4:16 AM, Caroline Tully wrote:

Is anyone interested in the way that some people seem to *really dislike* Ronald Hutton, see in particular the comment of “Carla” on Chas Clifton’s blog post about Ben Whitmore’s new book “Trials of the Moon”:

Yes, I do find it, let's say "challenging," more than "interesting."
Challenging, particularly, because I think that the academic/
independent scholar side needs to keep an open mind about
the subject/situation, even if the other side does not.

I emphasize "keeping an open mind" because the responses to
and about Hutton's works and to Hutton himself reveal direct
feedback from some of the subjects of research and study. It
can be a challenge to make sense of the feedback.

What's more, informed understanding of all sorts of phenomena
and interpretations of them change--often unexpectedly and
dramatically. Look at particle physics, molecular biology, Earth
science, astronomy and cosmology, or (my special favorite!)
human evolution over the past 50 years or so.

What I'm getting at is that Hutton's works probably represent
academic historical studies that are as good as we can get
these days. But that does not necessarily indicate that they are
true, correct, or right in every respect.

Incidentally, I think that's a good exchange of comments over at
Chas's blog, and I feel kinda bad that mine, the first, seems so
lame. But the "open mind" theme appears there, too.

Musing I Have Concluded That Nobody In My Family Before Me
Was Any Sort Of Pagan For At Least A Millennium! Rose,

Pitch