Hi Roy,

The whole issue of 'dodgy' research cropped up throughout the conference, not in a specific presentation slot.  I used the term dodgy to gather together all issues relating to poor research.

The point was well made that pharma are a widely known influence on research (the conference highlighted the negative effects).  In the world of EBM I see this as a 'given'.  However, it was refreshing to see academic conflicts being voiced.  This wasn't restricted to simply academia having financial links with pharma - it was wider.  There are a number of potential conflicts of interest that result in poor research choices. For instance doing research without doing a review beforehand - is that ethical and/or proper?  Is padding of the CV with articles ethical and/or proper?  Numerous other examples.  In the UK with have the RAE - which is frequently a perverse motivator for academics.

In clinical service redesign a colleague worked on the principle of 'squeaky clean' whereby you get your own team in order before criticising other teams for poor care.  While I'm not suggesting we 'let up' on criticising pharma, getting our own house in order seems like it should get more attention.  Pharma is an easy target - perhaps diverting attention away from ourselves.

Best wishes

jon