Hi - the last posting was meant for Joan, I pressed the reply button thinking it would go to Joan alone - but as it contained information about how to access the ARAN archives and the Transformative Education/al Studies proposal, it might be of interest to everyone.

Karen Carter, a former colleague at Bath and friend has just written to say:

"I'm thrilled to hear your news from South Africa and of other practitioners embracing the concept of Ubuntu to re-frame their practice. I seem to remember we had an email exchange (what seems like an age ago) regarding my visit to SA in 2004 with a group of headteachers and the subsequent publication 'Towards Ubuntu: A Learning Journey to Cape Town' - all of which left a lasting impression.

I have to admit that the concept of Ubuntu has stuck with me in framing an 'engaging' approach to leadership in my current work as a consultant for Real World Group....

I'm also facilitating an appreciative inquiry event with a local council in the next couple of weeks around re-defining the Council's vision and values for the future and plan to use the concept of Ubuntu to help focus the energies of the organisation's most senior leaders (CEO through third tier) around their core moral purpose with regards to their role as public servants ('servant leadership'). In particular in orientating their future role/responsibilities/existence as managers/leaders around their service-user (and staff) needs. A real example of 'You are, therefore I am' in action I think and much needed in supporting council managers in re-conceptualising their role as leaders in the current challenging times which the whole of the public sector is facing."

You can access "Towards Ubuntu: A learning journey to Cape Town." from:

http://networkedlearning.ncsl.org.uk/knowledge-base/think-pieces/towards-ubuntu.pdf

(Jean - you might like to connect with Karen if you haven't already met)

Love Jack.

To unsubscribe from the ARAN list, click the following link:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ARAN&A=1