Dear Christopher,

If your material is from the ocean or a similarly saline environment
the following might be useful:

Information and references relating to human remains on shipwrecks can
be found here:
http://www.shipwreck.net/pdf/OMEPaper11-HumanRemainsfoundonVictory_000.pdf

Not online but useful if you can get a copy is: For Future
Generations: Conservation of a Tudor Maritime Collection, Mary Rose
Volume Five - it can be purchased from Oxbow here:
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/36144//Location/Oxbow
It describes treatment and conservation of waterlogged bones:
'A huge range of objects were recovered from the ship, including wood,
textiles, leather, ceramics, glass, stone, metals, rope, pieces of
sail-cloth, and many hundreds of animal and human bones. Almost all
objects required some kind of treatment to halt the effects of 450
years of immersion in saltwater. This volume explains the conservation
methods used for the treatment and preservation of each major category
of material'.

Good luck,

Peter