The schedule for Transitions is now available.

Admission Free - Booking Required.  To register contact Tony Venezia ([log in to unmask]) or Paul Gravett ([log in to unmask]).

BIRKBECK, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, Clore Management Centre, 25-27 Torrington Square, London WC1E
See map for directions
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/maps/centrallondon.pdf

Friday, November 5, 2010 - 9:30am to 5pm
9:30am Introductions:
Dr. Anthony Bale (Birkbeck); Paul Gravett (Comica director); Dr. Roger Sabin (University of the Arts)

10:00am Panel 1 - Superheroes:
Chair: Ariel Kahn (Roehampton)
Maggie Gray (Middlesex):
“Nothing but flat, dead wood”?: Comics and Ecocriticism
Ian Hague (Chichester):
Adapting Watchmen
Ben Little (Middlesex):
The Caped Bolshevik: The Dark Knight Returns and Miller’s Shifting Class Discourse

11:15am Coffee

11:45am Panel 2 - Comics International
Chair: Will Brooker (Kingston)
Maria Vaccarella (King’s College London):
Graphic Storytelling in the Medical Humanities
Chris Howard (SOAS):
Manga and Postmodernism
Catriona MacLeod (Glasgow):
Francophone comics and the (Post-)Colonial Utopia

1:00pm Lunch
(own arrangements)

1:45pm Panel 3 - New Archives:
Chair: Paul Gravett
Sarah Lightman (Glasgow):
Why am I curating Graphic Details: Confessional Comics by Jewish Women?
Ernesto Priego (University College London):
21st Century Comics: Comics as Migrant Art

2:45pm Panel 4 - Artists & Scholars:
Chair: Alex Fitch (Resonance FM)
Nicola Streeten (Lincoln):
An Experience of Research: a Research of Experience - Embedding the Anecdotal in the Academic
Sarah Zaidan (Kingston):
The Adventures of MetaMan: The Male Superhero as a Metaphor for Modern Western Masculinity

3:45pm Response
Dr. Roger Sabin followed by discussion.

4:15pm Wine reception
5:00pm End

For anyone interested we will reconvene at The Crown pub, New Oxford Street.
http://www.comicafestival.com/index.php/festival/festival_detail/comica_symposium_transitions/