From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: Tuesday 19 October 2010 13:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Where do I start?

While I have no specific answers for you Louis, since my work has all been commercial and corporate, I absolutely commend your direct approach and your admission of starting at zero. I do have some small advice you may wish to consider

Know that courses are valuable, but that you have to be selective. Determine if you really need a qualification (my view is not, others disagree)

Ask questions all the time here. Everyone had to start somewhere.

Use common sense in breaking things into small compartments. Big decisions are often influenced by one tiny compartment.

Never hide behind Data Protection. First it never works, second you look foolish and third you upset folk :). Instead show how you work hard for good goals of confidentiality with transparency.

The list of policies you may need is quite daunting. Do not neglect the Data Destruction Policy (not deletion, but destruction) and the Data Retention Policy, pretty much two sides of the same pancake.

Know that those of us with the loudest voices (points to self) are not always those who are correct.

If you think it would help feel free to give me (or anyone else who offers) a call. I'm not about to sell you consultancy, I'm too far away!