From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: "Dundee University... Book & Paper Conservation Studio... under threat"
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:19:00 +0000

Archives-NRA and Scotarch; apologies for cross posting.

The local press (The Courier) on Monday 5th ran a front page story on this. If you felt this was Not A Bright Idea you might like to write to Professor Peter Downes OBE, Principal & Vice-Chancellor, The University, Dundee DD1 4HN before the "90-day period of collective consultation" is up.

Iain

If asked I can send anyone a full scan of the reports over two pages in the "The Courier", Dundee, Monday April 5th,
page 1
"Threat of strike over university proposals
by Brian Smith.
PROPOSALS by Dundee University to close prestigious units [at Duncan of Jordan College of Art] and the university library have drawn the threat of industrial action.
It emerged last night that... the internationally recognised Book and Paper Conservation Studio... under threat...
Work on a recent project preserving the letters of the 18th century naturalist Carl Linnaeus led to the latter being nominated for a British Conservation Award...
Dundee University and College Union... voted unanimously for industrial action...
Dr Carlo Morelli, president of DUCU, said... the proposals... form of 'intellectual vandalism'...
page 10
A spokesman for the university confirmed it is engaged in a 90-day period of collective consultation 'to consider the future of the Book and Paper Conservation Studio... Covering the deficit incurred by the Bok and Conservation Studio may require funds being diverted from the university's core activities of teaching and research...'"

| IEF Flett | 5 Provost Road | Tayport | Fife | Scotland DD6 9JE | 01382 552218 | 07796585188 |

Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up now. Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]