Lancashire Record Office  is inviting expression of interest from consultants interested in carrying out a piece of work to develop capacity within Lancashire County Council for the long term and permanent preservation of digital content for both archival/historical and business continuity purposes.

Discussions with the National Archives have identified the possibility of using the electronic Records Management system currently used by the County Council for this purpose, and as a first stage in examining this possibility, it has been decided to carry out a gap analysis  to determine what aspects of the functionality required for permanent digital preservation are not met by the functionality of the existing system.

The gap analysis will then be used to investigate what actions might be required to bridge identified gaps and the feasibility and practicality of doing so.

We wish to investigate what variation exists between the functionality capability of our present EDRMS and the functionality identified in 2006 by the National Archives as being essential for digital preservation. We also wish to receive any comments the consultant identifies after conducting the analysis about the practicality and feasibility for addressing any gaps within our present EDRMS.

A flat rate fee has been determined for the task, which has to be completed and billed by 31 March 2010.

A fuller brief of what is required is available from Bruce Jackson at Lancashire Record Office who should be contacted by email at [log in to unmask] .

Proposals must be returned by Monday 15 November, and selected applicants will be invited to present on their proposal in Preston on Monday 22 November.