I really can't see how exactly this will be of benefit to the people it should benefit, ie those NOT employed in Archives/RM but are desperately seeking full-time or at least long-term temporary employment.

As someone who is on unemployed benefit I cannot afford the extra expense of joining the ARA despite how cheap it may seem to some on my benefit. I'm on my my fourth long-term voluntary work placement nearly 2 years, am in the process of obtaining my Master's (using family loans and via distance learning) and as someone who had two very negative experiences of contacting the ARA to get information on how best to get into the profession a couple of years ago I'm not keen to get involved.

I hope something may come of this but I’m not sure how it will.