That's not really my idea of a debate on the subject, if that's what you are saying is needed.

I believe the situation is more complex than it all simply being the fault of the 'archive schools.'  I don't know if finding someone to blame is really the answer here, although of course that seems to be what society in general is finding solace in at present in trying to come to terms with the public finances.

I understand the ARA are hoping to take this forward in a constructive manner that aids new graduates, with discussion of their needs.

It was never my intention to tell anyone to "stop moaning", and that phrase was never used by me.  Some people did seem to me to have unrealistic expectations following straight upon graduation.  I hoped to give useful feedback on that and be as encouraging as possible in telling people to keep trying and not give up, as I did not receive the job I really wanted for some years either, but that the end result was worth it.  I wouldn't want people giving up on their hard-earned degrees or for the profession to lose their potential because of current circumstances.

In the short term, I would urge people to attend their local ARA meetings if they want to have a talk about these issues, get advice, get themselves known and learn about possible work experience and job opportunities.  And get a bit of tea and sympathy into the bargain.

Steven Davies
Archivist / Archifydd
Flintshire Record Office / Archifdy Sir y Fflint
Tel./Ffôn: (01244) 532414

Moore Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

19/10/2010 11:44
Please respond to
Moore Craig <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Fax to
Subject
The Professional Interest: A Modest Proposal

For the past month we have had various emails regarding the current job market. Some people have said they are tired of the 'jobs debate'. This puzzles me as I have seen no debate. All I have read is competing tales of woe along the lines of 'Help I am drowning in debt and I can't get a job' which has been answered with 'Stop complaining I found it difficult even in the supposed good times'.
There has been very little attention given to reasons why the job market might be more difficult, who is responsible and what can be done about it. On the 13th of September Henry Sullivan wrote
"When these two sets of figures are combined (see below) they give us a picture of declining jobs but more and more qualified graduates.

2004: Graduates; 73 / First Post Qualification Posts Advertised; 139
2005: Graduates; 74 / First Post Qualification Posts Advertised; 118
2006: Graduates; 102 / First Post Qualification Posts Advertised; 105
2007: Graduates; 129 / First Post Qualification Posts Advertised; 83
2008: Graduates; 122 / First Post Qualification Posts Advertised; 101
2009: Graduates; 165 / First Post Qualification Posts Advertised; 51

To put it boldly in 2004 there were nearly 2 jobs for each graduate, in 2009 there were over three graduates for each job."
From these figures it is clear to me that the reason why the job market is so difficult is because the archive schools have not been acting in the professional interest and have been flooding the market with more qualified archivists than can be sustained.
So what is to be done? I propose a complete moratorium on recruitment of students to the archive schools for the academic year 11/12. If the archive schools refuse to recognise that they are part of a professional community and can not or will not act in the professional interest then I say disaccredit all archive school programmes. ARA should again take responsibility for awarding professional qualifications and only award qualifications based on what the job market can sustain.

Craig Moore

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.