But as you said Teresa 'it's part time and a 12 month contract'.

Jon Shepherd

--- On Wed, 13/10/10, Teresa Doherty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Teresa Doherty <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Current Job Market - an observation re a current vacancy at The Women's Library
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, 13 October, 2010, 13:27

Dear All

re the various discussions about the job market facing archivists, I am a little bemused by my current position as an employer.

A month ago I advertised a Librarian post here at TWL with a 2 week closing date. With 2 days to go I had 70 applicants (of which 7 were random unqualified/experienced chancers).

I am currently advertising an Archivist post which has had a 3 week closing date. With 2 days to go I have 8 applicants (of which 6 are chancers).
That's right! So far there are just 2 applicants I can consider.
Maybe there will be a deluge of applicants between now and the closing date of this Friday 15th October.....?  Full details are below, it's part time and a 12 month contract, good post, good pay, wonderful collections, great professional development, close to transport links in London.....  roll up! roll up!

Teresa

Teresa Doherty wrote, On 12/10/2010 18:10:

> Just a reminder that the closing date is this Friday 15th October. This has also been advertised in ARC. By the way, men are encouraged to apply!
>
> Library Services (Special Collections) The Women’s Library at London Metropolitan University houses the most extensive collection of women’s history in the UK. In addition to the Reading Room, the library provides exhibitions, talks, events and an education programme. In 2007 the collections were awarded Designated Status as being of national and international importance.
>
> Archivist Salary: pro-rata of £24,435 to £27,849 per annum (inclusive of London Weighting) Fixed-term for 1 year, Part-time (21 hours per week)
>
> We are seeking a qualified and enthusiastic Archivist who is able to undertake the full range of professional duties. You will focus on the management of the archives; from dealing with depositors and accessions, through cataloguing (using CALM) and preservation, to provision of access in the Reading Room, in our online resources and in our events programmes. You will also have responsibility for archive volunteer projects and you will provide advice and support to users by contributing to the Library’s enquiry service. All members of the Library team undertake evening and Saturday work as part of the Reading Room rota. You will have a first degree; a recognised postgraduate archive qualification and a good knowledge of collections management and documentation issues, including professional cataloguing standards. Experience of working in an archive, library or similar institution is desirable, as is a demonstrable interest in women’s history, women’s studies. As the Archivist you will have opportunity to develop your skills across a range of activities. It is an ideal position for an enthusiastic professional who can contribute to the work of the team.
>
> Closing date: 15 October 2010. For further details and to submit an application please log on to our website at http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/staff/e-recruitment/ If you have a query please e-mail [log in to unmask] </cgi-bin/webadmin?LOGON=A2%3Dind1009%26L%3DARCHIVES-NRA%26F%3D%26S%3D%26P%3D156496> quoting the reference number 10B0760. Please note we do not accept CVs. It is necessary to complete an online application form.

-- ________________________________________________________________

Teresa Doherty
Collections Manager
The Women's Library
London Metropolitan University
Old Castle Street
London E1 7NT

[log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
www.thewomenslibrary.ac.uk

t +44 (0)20 7320 3513 (direct)
f +44 (0)20 7320 2333 (shared)

For our online catalogues see www.thewomenslibrary.ac.uk/catalogue and www.thewomenslibrary.ac.uk/archivemuseumcatalogue

For Genesis, a resource for women's history maintained by The Women's Library, see www.genesis.ac.uk

For the Women's Web Archiving Collection at the British Library see www.webarchive.org.uk/women

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo

Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]