As Sue says this payment is derived from the contract and therefore
taxable. However, if the individual is no longer in employment I reckon
you could avoid payroll and pay it gross. The professor would then be
responsible for declaring the payment in his tax return.


From: Payroll administration mailing list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fisher, Sue
Sent: 19 October 2010 16:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Royalty fees



All Royalty payments are taxable, HMRC associate these payments with
self employed individuals. Anyone in receipt of a Royalty who is in the
employ of the organisation making the payment could go through the






Sue Fisher


Payroll Manager


T. 01707 284646

F. 01707 284934



From: Payroll administration mailing list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brewin Joanne
Sent: 19 October 2010 15:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Royalty fees


Dear All


The University is going to pay a 'patent royalty' to an emeritus
professor on profits made by the University on an invention developed by
the professor when he was an employee of the University.  Does any know
off hand if this payment is taxable?


Kind regards



Jo Brewin

Payroll Manager

The University of Northampton

[log in to unmask]

01604 892796



This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended
recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you are strictly
prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating
this e-mail or any information contained in it.

We virus scan all E-mails leaving The University of Northampton but no
warranty is given that this E-mail and any attachments are virus free.
You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor
E-mail communications through our networks is reserved by us.