From: Dr Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]>

> One of the problems here is that such local pilgrimage shrines were often
quite short-lived: thaumaturgical enthusiasm flared up and then died down
again, often moving elsewhere.  This makes it difficult to make clear
differentiations between a statue of the Virgin and Child as
a devotional image, which was extremely common, and a cult image, to which
people resorted for thaumaturgical interventions.

i don't think i've ever seen this distinction between "devotional image" and
"cult image" before, Jim.

is it of your own devising, or one that is common in the literature (of which
i am totally ignorint)?

>The same applied to many relics. It was only the most successful pilgrimage
shrines that lasted, and they were probably in the minority.

surely this would be a function of the nature/importance of the relic (and of
the Holy Figure which it pertained to), would it not?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]