From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Graham Jones
Sent: Mon 09/08/2010 9:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] cult statues of the Virgin Mary

Dear Maddy

This is a difficult one. Wade-Evans does indeed say that it’s a common name but Browne Willis in 1733 gave no dedication. The parish web site claims the dedication as St Mary on the strength of the Ap Thomas will (?alone), but also gives Luke as an alternative. It further explains ‘llwch’ as referring to the large extent of watery ground in the parish, now bog where not drained (cf. anglicised Wentloog in Gwent). Apparently Llyn-Llanllwch and Llanllwch Lake were names still given to this area in the nineteenth century. Sir John Lloyd’s A History of Carmarthenshire (1935, 1939) is said to mention that the local Templar commandery’s lands included a moiety of the mill of ‘Landlothe’ outside the walls of Carmarthen and identifies this as land at Llanllwch. Lloyd also gives Mary as the dedication, in the context of its gift to Carmarathen Priory as a chapelry in the medieval parish of St Peter. It may have been that chapelry status which prevented use of the phrase ‘church of’. I’ll try to get a look at Lloyd tomorrow.

Best wishes

Graham