>seems to me that your objection to having crosses under foot rules out the
footstool solution, Hank.

It was an observation, Chris, not an objection. Maybe most footstools in the
early middle ages, especially those of churchmen 9or women), had crosses on
them.

> If it is slanted, I would suggest a missal stand.  There does seem to be a
slight lip at the bottom edge.

Google pictures of missal stands and you'll see that this is not one.

>it is clearly an object intended more for a decorative (or even liturgical)
purpose than for a [purely] practical one.

Could be both. Many medieval household items were intricately decorated.

>maybe we should wait and just see how Madonna use it in the movie?

I may be wrong here but wasn't it the footstool of a sixth century saint? It
didn't have anything to do with Hildy, did it? When you google st Radegund
you get some pictures of her sitting in chair... resting her feet on a
square footstool...

Henk

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]