If trying to locate a lot of projects relative to one another, a
possible approach is to formulate a set of notionally independent
questions to ask of each one. E.g.

How great is the precision? (Whatever that means.)
How great is the integrity? (Whatever that means.)
How great is the completeness? (Whatever that means.)
How great is the funding? (No doubt what this means.)
How many hits on the associated web site per month? (No doubt here,
either.)

The responses would have to be quantified some way, perhaps by suitably
formulated questions in conjunction with a Likert scale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Likert_scale

There would be a level of subjectivity. Nevertheless, if the questions
were well chosen and the assessment done in a consistent way with checks
and balances in place, the information thereby gleaned may be valuable.

Once the survey results are available, it is reasonably straightforward
to use a multivariate technique such as multidimensional scaling (MDS)
to produce a visualisation of similarities among the assessed projects.
More on MDS here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multidimensional_scaling

The R statistical environment is a great help when it comes to analysis:

http://www.r-project.org/

Best,

Tim Finney