Re: Attachment:Complexities and the climate for critical geographic researchers in Israel I look forward to reading the documents when they are pasted into the body of the actual message – as you know I was very troubled about the IGU going (once again) to Israel – so I am interested to read how it was enabling of academics (especially those in Palestine) rather than giving credence to the Israeli state. I note, rather worryingly, that your email only mentions Israeli and foreign scholars activities and work in the conference – are the Palestinian scholars included under ‘foreign’? This seems problematic given the extremely arduous and impoverished conditions they work under, which means that they lack many of the privileges of Israeli and other ‘foreign’ scholars. There is also the question of whether Palestinian are in fact ‘foreigners’ in relation to Israel or ‘exiled’.

Tracey Skelton

On 31/07/2010 3:17 AM, "Janice Monk" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Date:    Fri, July 30, 2010 11:30 am
To:      [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Cc:      [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
         [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
It appears some subscribers did not receive the attachment to the original
message, so i am resending.

**************************************************************************8
In advance of the International Geographical Union Regional Congress in
Israel in July, a number of messages were posted on the Critical Geography
listserv (and others) urging boycott of the Congress for political
reasons. .

For those of you who consider that such boycotts support critical
scholarship and scholars, I attach the recent communications of Professor
Steven Plaut and his general and personal attacks on critical human
geographers and planners. They indicate the difficulties under which
scholars in Israel geographers practice and the need of these critical
geographers for support, not exclusion by boycotting their efforts in
research, dialogue and community engagement.

I, and other international geographers who attended the conference in Tel
Aviv and also the pre-conference of the Gender Commission, can attest to
the high scholarly quality and the diverse nature of contributions by
Israeli and foreign scholars on  contemporary and historical themes
related to social, cultural, and environmental life. Presentations and
field studies represented a range of theoretical and methodological
perspectives and discussions were insightful, reflective, and engaged. The
program of the political geographers held at Ben Gurion University
likewise attracted leading international scholars of diverse perspectives.
Steven Plaut was not present at the events on which he reports.

See attached:

Email posted by Steven Plaut attacking the conferences
Specific attacks by Plaut on geographers Tovi Fenster, David Newman, and
Oren Yiftachel and colleagues.
Note additionally the web site on which Plaut extends his attacks on
political geographers.

Jan Monk