Begin forwarded message:

> From: National Programmes
> Date: 22 July 2010 10:00:28 BST
> To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Starting Point
>
>  To view a web version of this email please click here.
>  You can unsubscribe instantly at the foot of this email.
>

> Starting Point
> A New Opportunity for Two Curators
>

> The Contemporary Art Society, with Southampton City Art Gallery, are
> inviting proposals from curating and museum studies graduates from
> across the UK (must have graduated between 2008 - 2011). Starting
> Point will offer two curators the opportunity to select a small
> cluster of works from the collection to be installed as part of
> Southampton City Art Gallery's public programme in 2011.
>
> Arguably the most outstanding collection of modern and contemporary
> art outside of London, Southampton City Art Gallery have generously
> offered their support in providing access to the collection for this
> great opportunity for new curators.
>
> As a way of responding we are asking that proposals take the
> collection of artist's film at Southampton as an initial Starting
> Point.
>
> For full application guidelines please visit:
> www.contemporaryartsociety.org/forthcoming-events/event/future-plan
>
> Application deadline: Monday 6 September 2010
>

> Future Plan: How can we use new curatorial strategies to ignite the
> inspirational potential of public collections of modern and
> contemporary art?
>
> National Network Seminar
>  Southampton City Art Gallery
>  Monday 8 November 2010, 12.30 - 16.30
>
> The two selected Starting Point curators will be invited to
> participate in the seminar which is an opportunity to understand more
> about public collections. Speakers will look into the future for the
> public collections that they are working with. Future Plan is aimed to
> inspire a new generation of emerging curators and arts professionals
> to think about how they can work with the extraordinary resource that
> public collections offer.
>
> The seminar has been programmed by the Contemporary Art Society’s
> Curatorial Fellow, Robert Dingle in collaboration with Southampton
> City Art Galleries Lead Exhibitions Officer, Alice Workman.
>
> Speakers include:
> Stuart Comer – Curator (Film), Tate
> Ann Bukantas - Curator of Fine Art, Walker Art Gallery
> Gavin Delahunty - Curator, MIMA
> Starting Point Curators
>
> FREE to members of the National Network, £5 to non-members
>
> To book on to this seminar please email:
>
> For more information please visit:
> www.contemporaryartsociety.org/forthcoming-events/event/future-plan
>

> Contemporary Art Society
>  11—15 Emerald Street
>  London WC1N 3QL
> www.contemporaryartsociety.org
>
> Office opening times:
>  Monday — Friday, 9.30 — 17.30
>  Please note there is limited access
>  to the office. Call +44 (0)20 7831 1243
> [...]

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
Faculty of Arts, Design, and Media, University of Sunderland
Ashburne House, Ryhope Road
Sunderland
SR2 7EE
Tel: +44 191 515 2896    Fax: +44 191 515 2132
Email: [log in to unmask]

CRUMB web resource for new media art curators
http://www.crumbweb.org

CRUMB's new books:
Rethinking Curating: Art After New Media from MIT Press
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12071
A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, and A Brief History of
Working with New Media Art from The Green Box
http://www.thegreenbox.net