Dear Mick,

The library experts on the committee, including from the UK, discussed and agreed this.  It was not my decision.  But on the question of language "subsidiary" implies a lower level.

Too much interpretation will result in no standardisation, even before the documents are published.

I know that you said there is no obligation to use standards, but when they are used it does pay to follow the rules.  If the rules don't fit then get them changed through the proper channels.  If the technology standards were subjected to interpretation, then nothing would work.  Maybe we need some conformance rules for RFID for libraries.  Then libraries and vendors could either claim conformance or state that they were ignoring the standards.

People from all over the world have worked on ISO 28560.  I have just had three e-mail exchanges with New Zealand in the last hour.  No UK vendor participated at the ISO level.

Sorry to sound off, but we are so close to the entire community having the best foundation for interoperability.  Let's not waste it.

Kind regards,

Paul

Mick Fortune wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Thanks for this Paul. Just a quick explanation of my reason for not suggesting element 24.

When we discussed the use of Element 24 in the RFID meeting that agreed the UK data model there was a plea from Axiell that element 24 be used to identify consortia - i.e. a level ABOVE the organisation rather than below.

It's just one more reason why we need a thorough discussion of the issues I think.

Best

Mick

Mick Fortune

m. +44 (0)7786 625544         t.   +44 (0)1865 727411