Colleagues, after a brief absence - during which we’ve been working with the European Commission’s DG Communication on a guide to finding things on Europa - we’re back with news of EU-related information developments.

In the news recently:
- Green Paper on pensions
- Beneficiaries of EU funds
- Campaign to promote passenger rights
- 2009 report on access to documents
- Tourism policy
- Consultation on retail services
For more details and to see other news items, see our news archive at www.eia.org.uk/archive.php

Members' survey
Given the Association's limited resources, we'd like to hear members' views on what our future priorities and activities should be. To get the ball rolling, we've compiled a short questionnaire addressing some of the issues we're keen to get feedback on. If you'd like to contribute, the link to the survey is on our website or can be found direct at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JZJXC23

Publications
A reminder that the fourth edition of Patrick Overy's 'European information: a guide to official sources' is now available free to EIA members and for just £10 to others.
Coverage includes: the European institutions; Commission DG publications and websites; EU agencies; justice and home affairs; common foreign and security policy; treaties and agreements; the EU legislative process; the EU legal system; official publications; databases, websites and portals.
With 102 pages, 60,000 words and some 1,350 live links, this pdf-only publication provides an excellent introduction to official EU information materials and sources.
Further details are at http://www.eia.org.uk/publications.php.

On the web
The Council’s Consilium website has had a makeover.
Unlike the previous version of the site, there are no pop-up menus, but detailed contents of each section are given at the foot of the page. Links to materials on the latest European Council and to ‘EU Presidency’, ‘High Representative’, ‘Eurogroup’, ‘Treaty of Lisbon’ and ‘Common Security and Defence Policy’ are provided via some strangely washed-out images (it’s almost as though they’re an embarrassment - for heaven’s sake, be bold!).
On sub-pages, there’s a strange mix of repeated section menus (shown at both top and bottom of the page) and - where appropriate - a topic-specific menu. Overall, the Council site remains a messy affair.

AskEric:
Our AskEric service gives EIA members the chance to pose their questions to our EU information experts. Eric recently received this question:
I was wondering if you knew if there was a place which recorded the dates on which EU directives are implemented and come into effect in other EU member states? I don't know if there is a centralised database containing this information on the Commission website or somewhere else?
For the reply (which started ‘Each Directive includes a date for on which it enters into force and a date for transposition in the Member States’), see the full newsletter at http://www.eia.org.uk/eufocus.php

Regards,

Eric
---

Eric Davies

European Information Services / Coordinator, European Information Association (part-time only)
PO Box 28
Mold
CH7 6FE

Tel: +44 (0) 1352 700051