This is a contentious issue and one which you can argue either way and I
often do with clinical people in the community- clinical re records - my
perspective is from a Health Records Management perspective and having
dealt with all kinds of enquiries whereby I have had to provide evidence
of what we have done with regards to records and ultimately clinic care.

Each organisation should have a record of the clinical care they have
provided however they should also ensure that clinical care is not
compromised and as such the last set should have all the history - if
you copy the record and send these to the receiving organisation then
they would continue to build up the clinical care - within the Community
setting we pass the original documentation to the school a child has
moved to but we keep nothing to show what we as an organisation have
provided that child.  This is a risk to the patient and the
organisation.

If there was a child protection issue then the last set of records
should be looked at, each organisation that has had input to the
clinical care of a child could be asked "what did you do?" but if you
have nothing in your possession to refer to then how would you be able
to respond to any treatment you have provided.

We must ensure that the current provider has up to date information but
also ensure that you are able to respond to any queries.  We have
instances whereby we have released our records to a receiving
organisation and then have required them back for clinical care and they
have refused to send them back - this is a clinical risk to the child.

I have queried this with the DoH and they stated the following:
"Obviously in time to come with the local detailed care record, the
vision is that it will make things easier for NHS providers to
share/access patient info within the NHS care settings, and wider i.e.
Social services etc. However, in the meantime we recommend original
records staying where they are and if the record holder believes there
are certain elements they wish to share with other bodies then they have
to make that professional judgement to do so. Aware there are a few
guidance documents on this for info sharing with other outside agencies,
the two that spring to mind are:

HM Government, Working Together to Safeguard Children: A guide to
inter-agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare of children
(2006)

Information sharing: Guidance for practitioners and managers HM
Government (2008)"

It is something I am trying to look at with local PCTs in this area
(North West) to see how we could ensure we can continue to provide
clinical care but also be able to respond to any case review, litigation
etc as well.

Kind Regards
Alison
Health Records Manager