Hello Jan

Not an easy question to answer as there are many things to take into consideration.

Some time ago the Law Society provided guidance on document retention, well known as 'annex 12A' this stated that there was no legal requirement to keep client documents. However, it went on to say that client transaction files would inevitably contain documents that belonged to either the solicitor or client. An example list was provided and guided the reader to 'Cordery on Solicitors' for further info, unhelpfully Cordery contradicted Annex 12A as to who owned what. Further, it recommended that the solicitor should not destroy documents owned by the client without the clients consent.

Annex 12A has, in some respect, been replaced by the SRA code of conduct, rules 2 & 5, client care. (I think, have not read them lately) and still refers you to Cordery, although in relation to matters of lien

So, the question still remains who owns what in a transactional file and the need to contact the client to agree to destruction. This in many cases has been addressed by the Terms of Appointment of a lawyer. Virtually all law firms now have a clause about transferring document ownership to the lawyer, some will have their standard T&C available on websites, but none have a consistent time period for taking ownership of the files.

Done and dusted, after the chosen time period has elapsed documents within the files are owned by the lawyers and they can do what they want with them! Well, not exactly. It assumes that the client has agreed to the standard T&C, it's possible that the client have their own retention rules and want the lawyer to adhere to them, this changes the standard T&C's. Perhaps the client was not aware that documents contained within the transactional files belonged to them, was not mentioned at time of appointment, was there an error in client care! Additionally; there could be documents from third parties, what happens to them?

And finally, and I'm no authority on this element, I am told that even if a client accepts the T&C of appointment but has some form of ownership change during the retention period, they don't have to comply with the T&C's agreed by a predecessor. That to me appears to be a legal argument and I'm no lawyer...

Therefore, before setting any retention and disposal periods it may be wise to consider:
Some types of law transactions will need further consideration - pension schemes, intellectual property and possibly personal injury, especially anything asbestos related. If your law firm is international the transaction might be cross jurisdictional, other countries will have different laws.

Once everything has been considered, there are probably things I have missed, it is still a risk based decision, and by nature lawyers are risk-averse.

I have often thought I have built mountains out of molehills with these arguments and gone round in circles. If anyone can put me on the straight and narrow, would be much appreciated.

Regards

Robin

Robin Scally
Records Manager
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP

[Just in case] - The above does not constitute legal advice or is the opinion of Freshfields. It is the personal thoughts of the writer.