Thanks Alan for your thoughts which were very helpful.  To be honest the situation that I am in is a dilemma between the demands of the government's performative testing culture and the creative curriculum plus my own personal values.  The conflict lies here.  One thing  I am interested in is finding out exactly what Burnard and Whyte's rebalancing of pedagogy might mean in practice in the encouragement of professional agency, pedagogical autonomy, risk talking and creative collaboration.

Cheers,

Brendan

--- On Sun, 6/6/10, Alan Markowitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Alan Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Living personal and educational values
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, 6 June, 2010, 17:23

Hi Brendan,

I admire your quest to provide your students with the best possible educational leaders to establish a personal philosophy that supports their role as a "Servant Leader". ( See the work of Robert Greenleaf). In this model, teachers and leaders recognize that they must serve their organization (e.g. class, school) first in order to lead. In a very brief manner, they must provide their constituents with the resources, opportunities and information needed for THEM to meet their goals (academic, ethical etc.). Once that role is established, one should apply that value system to the specific issues that will arise. I would be happy to discuss this further if you think it valuable.
Collegially,
Alan

Dr. Alan Markowitz
Director, Graduate Programs in Education
(973) 290-4328