Here at the University of Glamorgan  we used self service for many years without PINs for the very reasons outlined by colleagues below. We introduced them last year  due to data protection concerns. In particular the fact that at one site which is RFID we had to add a number pad on self service units where customers could enter their ID numbers rather than  scan the card (long story!) & we introduced self payment.

 We put a lot of effort into assisting customers at the beginning of each academic year especially in the use of self service. Customers have a high awareness of their PIN as they use the same PIN to access their library account online to renew & place requests etc. We email customers their PIN at the start of each year so they have a record of it.

In the last year we have had a “big push” to  greatly increase the use of self service which has been pretty successful. We are currently  analysing how successful we have been & what we can do to improve figures further. The use of PINs has not been raised by our customers or frontline staff as an issue as far as I’m aware.

Bernadette

Bernadette Ryan

Systems & Services Manager

Learning Resources