Hello Jared,
You appear to be using differing thresholds for your corrected vs.
uncorrected comparison.  Why would it be surprising to find that an
uncorrected map thresholded at 1-P = 0.995 looks similar to the
corrected map at 1-P = 0.95?  You're finding that using a more
"stringent" threshold for the uncorrected map appears similar to a less
stringent threshold in the corrected map, which is exactly what you
would expect.

cheers,
-MH