Hello FSL community,

Does anyone have any advice on how to optimize registration when one is
specifically interested in the brainstem?   I have very little experience
using FLIRT focused on this part of the brain -- is there any reason to
expect it to fit brainstem worse than it fits cortex?  I see that FIRST uses
a two-stage process, first registering to the standard atlas, and then
repeating this step using the brainstem mask as a -refweight.  Is that the
best way to do it?

Considering the size and shape of this structure am I right to think that
nonlinear registration (FNIRT) would be overkill?

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue,

Jonas

----
Jonas Kaplan, Ph.D.