Dear all,

I am an immigration attorney in Seattle, Washington.  Our firm has a
case involving an individual who was a soldier in the VRS (outside
Sarajevo) who failed to include his military service on his refugee
application and obtained a resident card from Serbia, even though his
family was living in Bosnia.  The U.S. government is now trying to
deport him and his family, claiming that the misrepresentations were
“material,” insofar as they would have disqualified him from refugee
status.

In a similar case, we had an expert submit a statement that a person’s
service in the VRS would not have disqualified him from refugee status.
  The expert also said that it was common knowledge that people were
moving back and forth across borders, obtaining residence cards to
obtain basic goods and medical care, and that this would not have
disqualified a person from refugee status.  Our expert, however, mainly
worked with Bosnians who had fled to Croatia.

We’re looking for someone who processed refugee applications in about
1995 in Bosnia.

Please contact me if you have this experience!

Please send replies to: [log in to unmask]

Lori Walls
Associate Attorney
Gibbs Houston Pauw
1000 Second Ave., Suite 1600
Seattle, WA 98104
Tel: (206) 682-1080
Fax: (206) 689-2270
email:  [log in to unmask]

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by Forced Migration
Online, Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International
Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or
extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/discussion/guidelines