On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:20:01 +0200, michel grothe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Michel,

>Dear Mr. Gaser,
>
>thank you very much for your fast reply. However, I guess that I have to
> reformulate my second question:
>

>How are the jacobian maps computed? As far as I understand the
>registration in VBM8 it involves an initial affine registration to MNI
>space and subsequent Dartel warping of the GM+WM segments (in MNI space)
> to the IXI-DARTEL-Templates (in MNI space). This would mean that the
>Dartel-flow-fields just model remaining non-linear effects. Are the
>Jacobians derived from these Dartel-flow-fields (which would mean that
>global head size is already accounted for in the Jacobian maps, much
>like the m0-modulation) or are they derived from a composition of the
>initial affine registration and the Dartel-warps? In the latter case the
> jacobians would represent volumetric changes from native space to the
>IXI-Dartel-template in MNI space, similar to modulated
>(affine+non-linear) tissue segments. Given that the VBM8-GUI just gives
>the options "none" and "modulated" for Jacobian maps I�m a bit confused
>about the "modulation" of the Jacobians.

The jacobians are estimated using only the non-linear terms of the spatial normalization. No additional composition with the affine term is applied. The composition with the affine term is only considered if you save modulated image and the option "affine + non-linear" is selected. This is different from John's approach, but as you already assumed it accounts for different brain/head sizes and simplifies the statistical analysis. It is equivalent to a proportional scaling with the (inverse) scaling factor of the affine transformation in the statistical analysis.

Regards,

Christian

Christian Gaser, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Computational Neuroscience
Department of Psychiatry
Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena
Jahnstrasse 3, D-07743 Jena, Germany
Tel: ++49-3641-934752	Fax:   ++49-3641-934755
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://dbm.neuro.uni-jena.de