Hi Adrian

I'm not SPM developper but it seems to me that mean centering and orthogonality are kind of separate issues - if you use parametric modulation, regresors are orthogonalized i.e. in geometrical term theta = 90 and therefore the correlation which corresponds to the cos(theta) is 0. Whatever centered or not the correlation is still 0.

Hope this makes sense.

Cyril

> Dear SPMers,
>
> While checking the design orthogonality matrix of my study, I've found that
> the mean values of the regressors have a remarkable impact on the design
> orthogonality matrix in SPM8. SPM8 does not mean-center the regressors to
> zero (as SPM99 apparently did), and therefore, the values of the design
> orthogonality matrix do not correspond with the correlations between the
> regressors. So the exact same design leads to quite different orthogonality
> matrices when comparing SPM8's regressors (attached image1.png) with
> mean-centered regressors (image2.png).
>
> So I'm not quite sure whether the design matrix given by SPM8 (image1)
> contains any meaningful information. Should I judge my design based on the
> orthogonality matrix design given by SPM8 or by the orthogonanlity matrix
> based on mean-centered regressors?.
>
> The following post nicely states the same problem and remained unanswered on
> the SPM mailing-list:
>
> https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind04&L=SPM&a mp;P=R98293&1=SPM&9=A&J=on&X=00793331D7D673CA9A&Y=wunibald%4 0gmx.ch&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4
>
> Any clarifications are highly appreciated,
>
> Adrian

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.