Dear list members,
Please could you forward the following details about summer research internships offered by the STOR-i DTC at Lancaster University to those who may be interested.
Many thanks,
Paul Fearnhead and Chris Kirkbride

STOR-i Summer Research Internships, Lancaster University

DEADLINE FOR SUMMER 2010 APPLICATIONS: 14th May 2010.
Interviews will be held on the 20th May 2010

What is a STOR_i Research Internship?
STOR-i Research Internships offer a unique opportunity for undergraduate students to experience and learn how Statistics and Operational Research (STOR) can be employed to tackle challenging practical problems.

Where and when will they take place?
Each internship will run for up to 8-weeks over the summer vacation during which you will engage in research with leading academics from Statistics and Operational Research at Lancaster University.

Who are they aimed at?
The internships are aimed at giving an insight into what a PhD in Statistics and OR is like, and are open to students interested in the possibility of undertaking a PhD. We anticipate they are most appropriate for students about to enter their final year of study, but will consider applications from any student aiming to achieve a strong 2:i or first class degree in a quantitative or mathematical discipline. We regret that we will not be able to consider any applications from overseas (non-EU) students.

Why consider an internship?
As a STOR-i intern you will be joining other high-calibre undergraduate students studying in the vibrant research environment at Lancaster University plus you will be supported by a bursary of £250 per week. Some key benefits of being a STOR-i intern include:
* Experiencing how mathematical ideas can be employed to solve important practical problems
* Learning how to apply quantitative skills to important practical problems
* Gaining an insight into what it would be like to do a PhD
* Developing skills to enable you to excel in your studies and beyond

Want to know more?
To find out more click here <http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/department/research/stor-i/internships>  or visit our website at
www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/department/research/stor-i/internships
This includes examples of current and recent Statistics and Operational Research projects at Lancaster University and testimonials from students who have completed the summer internships in recent years. Or contact us via email at [log in to unmask]

How do I apply?
To apply, please send the following to [log in to unmask]
*	CV.
*	Cover letter explaining why you wish to do an internship.
*	Copy of your degree courses and marks to date.
 We regret that we will not be able to consider any applications from overseas (non-EU) students.

Please note that the deadline for applications is 14th May 2010 and interviews will take place on the 20th May 2010.

Are there places available for 2011?
There will be research internships available for summer 2011, however, at this time we ask for applications for summer 2010 only. Applications will be open for summer 2011 in January 2011.